How it Ranks: Cunard has been ranked based on an expert evaluation of the line's level of luxury, as well as an assessment of user reviews and health ratings. Cunard Line appears on the following ranking lists:
Cunard's three ships — Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria — receive well-rounded praise from travel experts and cruisers alike for their stylish accommodations and elegant facilities like upscale dining rooms and opulent ballrooms. Keeping with its legacy as a traditional, Old World ocean liner, Cunard is one of the only luxury cruise lines to offer secluded dining areas for select passengers, meaning guests staying in standard staterooms dine in a different restaurant than passengers staying in suites. Outside the luxurious lodgings, you can enjoy Cunard's versatile lounging and dining options, which include the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar and a specialty restaurant on Queen Mary 2 with a menu crafted by chef Todd English. Cunard offers one-way and round-trip voyages with popular 2016 itineraries covering the Mediterranean, the Baltic Sea and northern Europe, and including trans-Atlantic crossings between New York and Southampton, England. Popular destinations along the way spotlight major cities across the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, the Middle East and Australia and the Pacific Islands. Shore excursions available depend on the cruise's itinerary and duration (2016 voyages can last anywhere from two to 120 days), and cover everything from zip line tours through St. Lucia's Rainforest Adventure Park to a gondola ride through Venice's canals. What's more, on all of Cunard's ships you'll find a casino, a fitness center and spa, an art gallery and a wide range of enrichment programs, such as computer classes, ballroom dance tutorials and lecture series.
Pros & Cons
- After one Cunard cruise, you can join the Cunard World Club loyalty program and start receiving fare discount notifications and other benefits
- Variety of cabin classes and specialty restaurants to choose from
- Complimentary night nursery available from 6 to 11 p.m. for guests ages 6 months to 2 years old
- Some onboard amenities cost extra
- Shore excursions are not covered in cruise rate
- Government fees and taxes are not included in cruise fares
While Cunard offers programming catered to children on each ship, the cruise line's onboard activities target well-traveled American, British and international travelers ages 50 and up who prefer afternoon tea and evening galas over pool parties and dance clubs. However, during the summer months, you'll likely find more families and kids on board.More about the onboard experience»
While docked at each port, you can either explore independently or book one of Cunard's shore excursions. Excursion options vary by itinerary and ports of call, and are not included in the price of your cruise. You can pre-book excursions up to three days prior to your cruise departure ...More about the on shore experience»
Before You Book
- If you book directly with Cunard, you must pay your cruise fare 90 days before departure.
- Children must be at least 6 months old on most voyages, except for trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific journeys (including trips to Hawaii, Iceland and World Voyages) where guests must be at least 1 year old.
- Passengers younger than 18 must be traveling with a passenger 18 years or older. Passengers younger than 16 must share a stateroom with a guest who is at least 16.
- Cancellation policies vary by cruise length. For voyages that are shorter than 30 days, you must cancel at least 91 days before your trip to receive a full refund. If you cancel 61 to 90 days in advance, you'll forfeit the deposit amount; if you cancel your reservation 31 to 60 days in advance, you'll receive a 50 percent refund; if you cancel 15 to 30 days in advance, you'll receive a 25 percent refund; and if you cancel two weeks or less prior to your scheduled departure date, you'll receive no refund.
- For voyages that last 30 days or longer, you will lose your deposit if you cancel your cruise between 91 and 120 days in advance of your departure date; you will receive a 50 percent refund if you cancel between 61 and 90 days before yuor sail date; and if you cancel within 60 days of your departure date, you will receive a 25 percent refund.